Central Islip, New York
Central Islip, New York
|• Total||7.1 sq mi (18.4 km2)|
|• Land||7.1 sq mi (18.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||85 ft (26 m)|
|• Density||4,800/sq mi (1,900/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
11722, 11749, 11760
|Area code(s)||631, 934|
|GNIS feature ID||0946246|
History and overview
In 1842, the Long Island Rail Road's eastward expansion reached the area, and the Suffolk County Station was opened up. The Suffolk County Station, became the commercial center for housing. With that being done the name Central Islip was thus born, and applied to a new station built in 1873 further to the east. The modern Central Islip station is in a different location from all of its predecessors.
In the mid-1990s, Central Islip began a resurgence, with new housing developments, commercial properties, and government complexes. A new federal courthouse complex opened, claimed to be the second largest in the country. On part of the site of the former Central Islip Psychiatric Center's 788-acre (3.19 km2) campus. In 2000, the baseball stadium for Independent league team Long Island Ducks opened up.
Housing developments in Central Islip include:
- College Woods
- Park Row
- Bella Casa Estates
- Islip Landing
- Courthouse Commons
- Waddington Estates
- Hawthorne Court (Home Properties)
- Coventry Village
As of the census of 2010, there were 34,450 people, 8,792 households, and 6,813 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 4,398.2 per square mile (1,699.2/km2). There were 9,189 housing units at an average density of 1,264.9/sq mi (488.7/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 43.6% White, 25.0% African American (U.S. Census), 3.4% Asian, 0.9% from other races, and 5.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 52.1% of the population. Foreign-born residents comprised 34.7% of the population.
There were 8,792 households, out of which 26.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 8.0% were persons under the age of 5, 3.5% were married couples living together, 17.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.5% were non-families. 16.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.56 and the average family size was 3.87.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 29.2% under the age of 18, 11.0% from 18 to 24, 32.5% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 7.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $55,504, and the median income for a family was $57,252. Males had a median income of $35,187 versus $27,842 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $17,910. About 8.3% of families and 11.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.8% of those under age 18 and 8.7% of those age 65 or over.
As of the 2010 census, there were 34,450 people, 9,365 households, and 6,928 families living in the CDP. The racial/ethnic breakdown was as follows:
- 43.6% White
- 25.0% Black
- 0.9% Native American
- 3.4% Asian
- 0.0% Native Hawaiian
- 0.4% Some other race
- 5.9% Two or more races
In addition, 52.1% was of Hispanic origin.
- Pre-K and K
- Early Childhood Center (Alfano)
- Grades 1-6
- Andrew T. Morrow Elementary
- Francis J. O'Neil Elementary
- Marguerite Mulvey Elementary
- Cordello Ave. Elementary
- Mulligan Elementary
- Grades 7-8
- Ralph G. Reed Middle School
- Grades 9-12
- Central Islip Senior High School
- Private Schools within Central Islip:
- St. John of God (Catholic)
- Our Lady of Providence Regional School
- Central Islip Seventh-Day Adventist Church, 143 Caleb's Path
- Central Islip Church of Christ
- First Spanish Baptist Church, 51 Hawthorne Avenue
- The First United Methodist Church (Dating back to 1869) on Wheeler Rd.
- Iglesia Fuente de Agua Viva, 100 East Suffolk Ave Central Islip NY 11722
- Iglesia Bíblica TorreFuerte (Pastores: Bayardo & Ady Delgadillo)
- Iglesia Evangelica Resurreccion
- Ministerio Jesu Cristo Vive, 1417 Islip Avenue
- Lighthouse Tabernacle Church of God
- St. John of God Roman Catholic Church (one of the oldest churches in Central Islip)
- Church of the Messiah Episcopal Church
- Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 268 Suffolk Avenue
- Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 105 Fig Street
- Restoring Grace Ministries
Major roads within the hamlet of Islip are:
- Suffolk County Road 17, also known as Carleton Avenue through most of the community and Wheeler's Road north of Suffolk Avenue, runs parallel to NY Route 111 (Islip Avenue) from its southern terminus at NY 27A in Islip to its northern terminus at NY 111 near the Long Island Expressway at Exit 56 in Hauppauge.
- Suffolk County Road 67, also known as the Long Island Motor Parkway runs along the northern edge of the community.
- Suffolk County Road 100, also known as Suffolk Avenue, is the main west-to-east route through the community, running from Suffolk County Road 13 in Brentwood to New York State Route 454 in Islandia.
- Southern State Parkway (Exit 43A) runs within nearby Islip Terrace but is close enough to the Islip Terrace/Central Islip border.
Islip Terrace is west of Long Island MacArthur Airport in Ronkonkoma.
There are many bus stops in Islip Terrace, along the 3C, 3D, 42, 45, and 54. Buses are operated and maintained by the local Suffolk Transportation Service, Inc.
|Long Island Ducks||Baseball||Atlantic League of Professional Baseball||Fairfield Properties Ballpark||Link to file|
- Rick Kittles
- Mike Tice
- R.A. the Rugged Man
- Anthony Cumia
- Chrisette Michele
- Keith Murray (rapper)
- Roy Barker
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Central Islip CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- A Brief History of Central Islip Archived February 24, 2009, at the Wayback Machine, Central Islip Public Library, Retrieved 2009-09-11.
- "Central Islip--Community Profile". Newsday. Dec 16, 2005. Retrieved 2009-09-11.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "All Zip Codes in New Cassel NY".
- "Long Island Index: Interactive Map". www.longislandindexmaps.org. Retrieved 2022-07-13.
- "Seventh-day Adventist Church, Central Islip NY". Centralislip23.adventistchurchconnect.org. 2011-12-16. Archived from the original on 2016-01-12. Retrieved 2013-09-04.